Do you view your life as in fate's hands or divinely destined to be?
I have been giving deep consideration to the premises behind fate and destiny, and I have come to a conclusion. While people tend to use these words interchangeably, I see them as distinctively different, one potentially detrimental in how we go about our everyday lives, while the other exponentially empowering.
The definition of "fate" in the dictionary is somewhat oxymoronic. One definition poses a potentially positive spin: "something that unavoidably befalls a person, fortune, lot, etc." Then another definition presents a grim premise of "death, destruction or ruin." Yikes! That alone confirms to me that fate is not where one's focus should ever be because it only leads to confusion and questioning one's so-called fate. After all, the word "fatal" is from the same root. Enough said, but then, much more needs to be said.
Definitions of "destiny" in the dictionary include: a) "something that is to happen or has happened to a particular person, fortune, lot, etc." b) an inevitable or irresistible course of events." c) power that determines the course of events" and d) "power personified." Not a definition of demise among them and, most important of all, a clear indicator, as far as I am concerned, that we manifest and bring into being our most desired, passion-driven, and purpose-driven destiny, if we are attuned to what it can ultimately be.
Consider my take on fate and destiny and if any of these perspectives resonate with you:
1. To You vs. For You: Fate happens to you whereas destiny happens for you. Think about when someone says it was "fate" or "fated" to be. It is oftentimes something that happened TO them or was inflicted upon them causing a need to re-examine or search for understanding or meaning. On the other hand, when someone says it was "destiny," there is a sense of lightness and excitement associated with what has occurred. It is something that feels good and right. There is a feeling of blessing associated with it.
2. Out of Your Hands vs. Within Your Grasp: Fate makes you feel like your life is out of your control, and left to someone else or some higher power to determine how you are to be on this earth. Having a strong unwavering faith is important, however, our greatest faith lies within having faith in ourselves. When your faith also includes a level of confidence and assuredness, you see your future as being totally within your grasp to manifest and create. You take destiny by the horns, so to speak, and determine what it looks like, feels like, tastes like, and sounds like to you and for others you will touch.
3. Chance vs. Choice: With fate, you believe you must leave to chance how you carry on through life, with a hope that the outcome will be favorable. When you embrace destiny, you become fully engaged in the process of the journey. You choose based on what you desire to be, and as a result, you make micro-shifts, or move courageously forward with intentional awareness every step of the way. While fate can be quite passive aggressive, destiny is active progressive.
4. Looking Back vs. Looking Forward: When you are focused on fate, you tend to look backward instead of forward. Questions such as, "What have I done to deserve this?" or statements of regret such as, "I should have never…" become the underlying thinking associated with a recent occurrence that is viewed as fate. Destiny looks abundantly forward. When you believe you are destined to realize a specific reality, it is future focused. You see possibilities. You seek opportunities. You pay closer attention. You take calculated risks. You hear as well as listen. You are always looking ahead towards your next steps, hurdles or challenges that will be overcome.
5. The Unknown vs. All Knowing: Fate gets trapped in the unknown, bringing a level of discomfort and sometimes hopelessness depending on the situation. You find yourself searching for answers and wondering aimlessly. Destiny is all knowing because you know without a shadow of a doubt that this is what you were meant to be doing. You imagine it to its finest details of being, and your determination to bring it to reality becomes contagious as others feel the energy you bring to it and gain energy as well.
I truly believe within the deep reaches of each of our souls that we know what we are destined to do and be. We simply need to awaken that inner spirit within us that can help guide us confidently towards our greatest potential in making the difference we were meant to make while on this planet. Our passions and natural tendencies are at the heart of what we were destined to be. Embrace these passions and what makes you authentically you.
Your destiny awaits -- with you totally navigating towards its ultimate reality.
Become a blog contributor!Learn more!
© 2017 TUT (The Universe Talks). All rights reserved.