Here’s a little exercise for creating a plan of action that will leverage the Universe and engage the magic. It’s such a simple “plan” (if that’s even the right word) that you can think of it and assemble your own version of it without even putting pen to paper, although for your first time or two with it, I recommend writing it down. Once you understand the exercise, you can do it when you’re dozing off to sleep, walking the dog, or driving to work. This exercise gives you a tool for looking at your responsibilities versus those you delegate to the Universe.
The Triangle Exercise
- In your mind’s eye, or using an entire sheet of paper if you prefer, imagine or draw a large triangle. It’s important that the triangle is large so that you can write many words and phrases inside of it.
- Now imagine or draw a single line bisecting the triangle, from top to bottom. That means starting at the top of the triangle, where there’s a point, and then imagining or drawing a straight line down to the center of its base.
- Imagine that this triangle will ultimately contain all the action steps necessary for a single dream of yours to come true. You can do this exercise over for any and all of your dreams, such as for a new car, an improved relationship, a new career, direction, health, or anything you want, however each dream will require its own triangle. If you’re writing this down, write your dream, in words, at the top of the triangle.
- In the bottom left corner of the triangle, imagine or write your name, and in the bottom right corner of the triangle imagine or write, “The Universe.”
Your Side of the Triangle
On your side of the triangle think of and include (or write down) anything and everything you can do to further your advancement toward the realization of your dream. Include all you can do, physically, logically, and spiritually to achieve the goal at the top of the triangle.
Here are some ideas that may or may not apply to whatever it is you want:
- Make more “cold calls,” if you’re in sales
- Continue, or start, refining your education
- Obtain licenses, certifications, websites, business cards
- Create a business plan
- Actively seek, or strategize finding, partners, investors, customers, etc.
- Ask mentors for help
- Read “how-to” books and success stories of those who went before you
- Help others who want what you want (a great way to get a new perspective on your own situation)
For improving a relationship:
- Travel, cook, or learn and do something new together
- Seek the advice of friends, family, or counselors to smooth out any issues
- Try “dates nights” and surprise your partner with new routines
- Revisit old places and activities that previously brought joy
- Talk to your partner more, in new ways, reach out, compromise, ask for help
- Find others who are perhaps in a similar situation, form a support group
For starting a new relationship:
- Be sure your friends are allies on your quest for love
- Join dating services, online or otherwise
- Get out more, especially to places where you could meet new people
- Volunteer in your community, not only to help, but to be available
- Get a job (if not for the money, to meet people)
- Choose a hobby and get involved with local groups who enjoy the same interests
Spiritually speaking, no matter what you’re after, here are some entries for your side of the triangle, if they appeal to you:
- Visualize every day (see tips on this in the next chapter)
- Join a spiritual community. Unity and Science of Mind churches are in alignment with all I’m sharing about how to create change in your life
- Read more books, listen to audio programs, attend seminars
- Join (or form your own) meet-up and/or mastermind groups
- Begin or learn meditation, yoga, or other exercises that enhance peace of mind and physical wellbeing
- Create a vision board and use other similar tools (again, see tips on this in the next chapter)
There’s nothing “new” on these lists; what’s new is what you’ll bring to them, now that you understand how your baby steps will enable the Universe’s giant steps on your behalf— and this can make all the difference.
The Universe’s Side of the Triangle
Finally, on the other side of the triangle, think of the possible magic, miracles, serendipities, and happy accidents that you might experience, all of which would also help you advance toward the realization of your dream. This is where you’re going to put in what the Universe can do for you. Some examples:
- Unexpectedly meeting new people who can help you
- Give you a bright idea that will not only change your life, but the world
- Provide inspiration and motivation you when you most need it
- Resolve inner conflicts
- Arrange circumstances to ease your journey
- Open your eyes to new possibilities
- Help you negotiate and transcend obstacles, tricky people, and other distractions that aren’t serving you
- Hone your skills, improve talents, and instill confidence
- Accumulate physical resources and summon new opportunities
- Reveal your negative thinking and limiting beliefs
- And much more…
Depending on what your dream is, please add your own ideas to both sides of your triangle.
Once you’ve made your lists, take a look at both sides of the triangle and then realize that you doing everything on your side of the triangle, without the Universe doing its part, would never be enough to make your dream come true. Similarly, if the Universe were ready to rock and roll on your behalf, able to do everything on its side of the triangle, yet you weren’t doing your part, progress would be impossible. If you want the Universe to be able to do all it can, with all it has, from where it is, then you must do all you can, with what you have, from where you are. We do have a choice as to just how much of the Universe we’ll unleash, and it’s based on the choice of how much action we take.
This article was excerpted from my New York Times Bestselling Book, Leveraging the Universe and Engaging Life’s Magic.