Everything around us is an expression of God, the Highest Source, the Universe—known by many names. Everything around us is an expression of this oneness as is everything within.
The best part is that we all belong. We are all connected. We are all woven into this stunning fabric we call life.
Isn’t this a beautiful truth?
I see the divinity in every moment:
- In the raindrops, falling slowly, nurturing the plants, the animals, and the earth, blessing us with freshness, lushness, and delight
- In the sun as it rises over the horizon, sending us warmth and light
- In the little butterfly passing me on my way into the woods, expressing her sheer beauty by simply being, lightening my heart
- In the clouds when I gift myself the time to look up into the sky, where they are forming intricate patterns, the background colors ranging from dark grey to bright blue
- In my body when I take a deep breath and feel the air rushing in, gushing into my lungs, filling me with life and hope
My heart swells when I look around and consciously notice the beauty surrounding me.
- The crazy, wild, joy-spreading laughter of children
- The smile and wave of my neighbor when I leave the house
- The smell of freshly ground coffee beans when it’s time for my morning break
- The warm arms of my child, wrapped around me, holding me, connecting us
- The taste of exquisite dark chocolate melting on my tongue
An explosion of the senses, stimulating my own inner light, rising within me, filling me, to finally ooze out of me, sending ripples into the world around me.
- The feeling of putting my feet up after a long day of work
- Listening to the voice of my parents on the phone because they live too far away to be seen regularly
- The pleasure of tiredness after a workout
- The feeling of being clean after a shower or a dip
- The joy of my favorite song playing in my head
My inner gratitude fuels my outer life—reflecting back to me the beauty I have permitted myself to see. It is a cycle of giving and taking, acknowledging and marveling, ebbing and flowing. Back and forth. In and out. Again and again.
I feel the gratitude. I marvel at it. Thank you for gifting us with such beauty.
However, I also know, on some days, it is more difficult, or even impossible, to tune in to this flow. The reasons for this can be as rich as life’s tapestry. Illness, injury, a bad night’s sleep, worry, grief… On those days, connecting with gratitude seems like a futile stretch.
I have been beating myself up for not being able to connect with my daily gratitude—which, of course, does not help but sinks me deeper into a sense of despair or loneliness. In those moments, it helps to nurture myself through:
- Lovingly accepting I am not feeling well
- Allowing myself to connect with my humanity
- Gifting myself what I truly need in such a moment: time for journaling, time for crying, or time for walking in nature
Acknowledging the ups and downs of life and allowing their flow through me has been one of my greatest challenges. Today, I know every experience forms part of our journey. That does not make connecting with my pain much easier.
Facing my own pains is the most courageous act I know. But even in those experiences, there is beauty to be found, when I allow myself to look closely.
- How deeply I love when faced with the grief of loss
- How to cherish the joyful moments when they arise
- How to connect with the depths of compassion running through us all
- How it makes me stronger and deeply human when acknowledging what arises without running from it
Let us build bridges and hold each other. Let us feel together. Let us embrace our humanity.