What would you say if I asked who is in command of your life? Who is steering the wheel? Are you in the driving seat or do you feel more like a passenger in a taxi? Have you got a full tank of gas or are you running on empty?
I used to give my power away too easily. Growing up, I wanted to fit in so badly that I'd suppress what I truly thought and felt. I channeled all my energies into molding myself into someone who was accepted by the crowd.
The end result was that I felt depleted, frustrated and unsatisfied. Instead of being true to my own needs, I was desperately trying to be worthy in the eyes of others.
Once I began to invest in me (and celebrate my own individuality), I found that I stopped worrying about what everyone else thought. I began a journey to freedom that has been ever expanding and continually rewarding.
Here are ten ways to reclaim your power and own the road:
1. Say no to people or places that drain your energy. If you feel like your interactions with an individual or a group of people leave you feeling drained and depleted then take a step back. Maybe it's a small step back, maybe it's a big one. The key is to create enough space to give you a chance to re-fuel. Then you can reflect on whether you want to keep your distance or not.
2. Put on your own oxygen mask first. There's a reason why we are told this on flights. It's not possible to help and assist others if we are lacking the vital ingredients that we need to not only survive, but thrive. Take care of you. It's not selfishness, it's self-preservation.
3. Ensure your belief system is one that truly resonates with you. Don't believe something to be true just because you've read it or watched it. Much of what we are taught is based on the beliefs of others. Don't be spoon fed. Listen to your gut. Your soul wants to seek it's own truth. Let it.
4. Don't be afraid to start over. You are not too old and it is not too late. Ever. Life is meant to be an experience, not a rut. If you feel that you're in a dead-end zone, then it's time to get out. Drive in a different direction. The open road is calling your name.
5. Express yourself. Whether it's verbally, through writing, or another creative endeavor, ensure you express your thoughts, feelings and needs. Saying what you want is empowering, even if your voice shakes. Don't let fear be a reason to stay stuck.
6. Remind yourself daily of your worth. Affirmations are a great way of reinforcing positive messages and building self-esteem. Choose a few that you really identify with and say them out loud. Be sure to use present tense and start with a minimum of three times a day. Remember, energy flows where attention goes.
7. Just do it. Don't overthink the reasons why you want to do something. Don't overanalyze. Not everything has to be rationalized and dissected. Let your instinct guide you. If something speaks to your heart then honor it. Always.
8. Check in with yourself regularly. Our human experience offers such an array of growth and learning. What was right for you at one point in your life may not work for you today. Change is a positive thing. Don't be afraid to steer the wheel to a new path. Say yes to each adventure.
9. Let go of excess baggage. If you're weighed down with old emotions, then it's time to release what no longer serves you. It doesn't need to be dramatic, just unfurl your fingers and let go. Notice how much lighter you feel. Notice how liberating it is to cut the binds.
10. Put your foot on the gas like you mean it. Are you driving or are you just cruising? Get clarity on your destination. Be prepared for detours, but don't be thrown off by them. Keep your focus ahead of you. Put both hands on the wheel and move forward with purpose and intention. Put on your feel-good song, see the light turn green, and go!
Become a blog contributor!Learn more!
These daily emails will remind you of your power and life’s magic, and they’re personalized with your dreams and goals! Plus, I’ll send you my 5-minute guided visualization. It’s free!
By completing this form, you are agreeing to receive email messages from TUT.
© 2017 TUT (The Universe Talks). All rights reserved.